Oh Joy of Joys! The first snow has fallen on the Northern Illinois region on November 11th. The dull, brown colors of spent perennials are now covered with a blanket of white…
Did-ya catch the sarcasm? The joy does not eliminate from my eyes…. I’m not quite sure why I’m still here in the Midwest. Why do I stay in an area that is subjected to this type of climate??? In 1996, I tried to get away and moved to Safety Harbor, Florida. My bestest-friend-ever had moved there a few years earlier and I had visited her many times before making my decision. I don’t want this post to change into a ‘Florida Rant’, so to sum-up, there is a Karma trade-off for the good weather. I couldn’t handle the down-sides, as much as I enjoyed the weather, I moved back to Illinois.
Ah, memories…. But back to reality!
I have SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder. What Midwesterner doesn’t? As we race towards the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, I can’t get over the fact I rise before the sun and arrive home after she’s set. A million dollar idea would be if your computer screen could double as a light box! THAT would quench my need for sunlight and not disrupt my day to stare into a box. =-)
To try to combat the crappy feelings I have relating to the season, I’ve started compiling a list of things that are good or great about winter. Items on this list may sound odd to some folks, but that’s how my DNA arranged itself! =-)
I’d like you all to help me think of things for my list, if you will!!!
- The first snow.
- Watching my dogs play in said first snow. Snowballs are the best toys!!
- The smell of the first fire-up/burn off of dust from the furnace. Told you I was strange….
- Using my hot-tub. Too hot to use in summer.
- “Nosey-Time” = Now that the leaves are down, I can see into peoples yards. “Hmm, whatcha got over-dare??” 😉
- Egg White/Meringue Cookies – Not only does the recipe require the oven to be on for hours (about 4 – but only @ 200F), humidity kills the cookies in less than an hour. In the dry Winter is the only time I make them.
- This may be an ‘over-share’… However. I hate bras. When its cold and there are a few layers between the girls and the world, no one’s the wiser I’m commando!
- This one relates to above. I’m not a fan of leaving my home in my (clearly) pajama pants. But, I will put my full length coat and large scarf on over my yoga pants and t-shirt to go somewhere I’ll never remove my coat.
- I can’t NOT mention the holidays, but if I didn’t mention them here, all my responses will most likely revolve around them. I’m really not a fan, aside from seeing family, but we do that throughout the year! I’m not Christian/religious, although I’ve thoroughly studied the bible when I was young. I think the holiday has just become a
F*ck-fest for merchants. New Years is spent at home, as it’s amateur night out there (drunks) and I have lack of funds for a large hoop-ha. Just to round out the mix, my Birthday (which I don’t celebrate as I’m done aging) is the very next week. Gaaa! So! What was the good thing about the holidays you ask? My company closes during the holidays & I’m paid!!
- Sherpa blankets.
- All my houseplants are inside, and I like all my friends around me.
- My Solar-Powered Double Rainbow Maker! Because the sun is lower in the sky, the rainbows get thrown all over my home.
Please share your favorite winter things!!
© Ilex Farrell ~ Midwestern Plant Girl