Yesterday, a French court upheld a 2012 ruling in which Monsanto was found guilty of chemical poisoning a French grain farmer. Paul Francois, says he suffered neurological problems after inhaling the Monsanto line of pre-emergent, weed killer called Lasso.
The decision by an appeals court confirmed the original judgment, the first such case heard in court in France, that ruled Monsanto was responsible for the poisoning and ordered the company to “fully compensate” farmer Paul Francois.
Monsanto’s lawyer said the U.S. biotech company would now take the case to France’s highest appeal court.
Francois, who says he suffered memory loss, headaches and stammering after inhaling Monsanto’s Lasso in 2004, blames the agri-business giant for not providing adequate, cautionary warnings on the product’s label.
Lasso, a pre-emergent soil-applied herbicide that has been in use since the 1960’s to manage grasses and broadleaf weeds in farm fields, was banned in France in 2007 after the product had already been prohibited in other countries such as Canada, Belgium and Britain.
Remember, you are what you eat… Do you really want to be a chemically altered form of life??